Week 3: Emerging Technologies and Innovation
Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation.
Continued advancement in information technology has changed the modes of transactions and conducting business in many domains. It can be very difficult to predict how business will be conducted in 5 or 10 years based on the rapid pace of changes in information and communication technology. It seems as though new technologies and innovations are introduced daily, so it is essential to understand if and how they could positively impact an organization. If a business adopts new technologies or innovations, then the focus would shift to managing their integration into the business’s operations.
This week, you will examine how emerging trends and technologies affect businesses and organizations. You will also explore why change management is important when adopting innovative solutions for a business. In the Discussion, you will consider how you would assess whether to adopt an emerging trend or technology for a business. In the Assignment, you will work as an IT analyst at XYZ Corporation to develop a client presentation on emerging trends and/or technologies.
- Explain how to determine the potential value of an emerging trend or technology to an organization
- Describe the concept of emerging trends and technologies
- Analyze emerging trends and technology to be applied to an organization
- Identify the processes involved in change management for an organization
- Analyze management techniques for incorporating innovative technologies within an organization
- Illustrate strategies for implementing innovations
Due This Week
|Discussion: Evaluating Emerging Trends and Technologies for a Company||Post your initial posting by Day 3.|
Respond to your colleagues by Day 5. Note: As you complete this first Discussion, be sure to reference the Week 3 Discussion Rubric.
|Assignment: Proposal for Implementing Emerging Trends or Technologies Within an Organization||Submit your Assignment by Day 7. Note: As you complete this first Assignment, be sure to reference the Week 3 Assignment Rubric.|
Note: To access this week’s required Harvard Business Review resources, select the article link and navigate to the relevant article or go back to Blackboard and select Harvard Business Articles from the course navigation menu.
Emerging Trends and Technologies
Within the field of information technology, new technologies are constantly being introduced. Although it might be tempting to jump on every new trend that hits the market in an effort to attract new customers, business leaders must be thoughtful and selective when deciding upon which emerging trends and technologies to adopt. These resources will help you to both understand the differences between trends and emerging technologies and gain insight into the process of evaluating these innovations for possible adoption.Banks, L. (n.d.). How to manage emerging technology. Retrieved November 6, 2018, from https://smallbusiness.chron.com/manage-emerging-technology-5265.htmlTime Estimate: 2 minutesJablonski, C. (2010). 5 ways to critically evaluate a trend or forecast. Retrieved from https://www.zdnet.com/article/5-ways-to-critically-evaluate-a-trend-or-forecast/Time Estimate: 6 minutesMcGowan, B. (2017). CIO quick takes: How CIOs assess the value of emerging technology. Retrieved from https://www.cio.com/article/3200670/emerging-technology/cio-quick-takes-how-cios-assess-the-value-of-emerging-technology.htmlTime Estimate: 1 minuteMIT Technology Review. (2016). Emerging trend analysis: What is digital performance management? Retrieved from https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602544/emerging-trend-analysis-what-is-digital-performance-management/Time Estimate: 5 minutesrichardl91. (2016, April 3). Trends vs. emerging issues: What is the difference? [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://visionforesightstrategy.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/trends-vs-emerging-issues-what-is-the-difference/Time Estimate: 7 minutes
The Change Management Process
Once an organization determines there is either an interest or a need to adopt an emerging trend or technology, the organization must adapt, in some way, to integrate the innovation. Using these resources, you will examine how this integration is accomplished through a process known as change management.Aguirre, D., & Alpern, M. (2014). 10 principles of leading change management. Retrieved from https://www.strategy-business.com/article/00255 https://www.strategy-business.com/article/00255Time Estimate: 20 minutesMcKinseyLD. (2014, May 20). McKinsey on change management [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69i_yAhEcQNote: The approximate length of this media piece is 8 minutes.McKinsey on Marketing & Sales. (2015, December 10). The secret to technology use: Change management [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQVYUT0OAVUNote: The approximate length of this media piece is 2 minutes.Strategyandbusiness. (2014). How to lead change management [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0doKfhecQ&feature=youtu.be Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 5 minutes.
Managing and Implementing Change
Once a change management initiative is underway, it must be managed from the perspectives of the people and the technology. These resources include information on how to successfully manage people and technology while implementing an innovation.Brands, R. F. (2015). The key to successful innovation is proper implementation. Retrieved from https://chiefexecutive.net/the-key-to-successful-innovation-is-proper-implementation/Time Estimate: 5 minutesLotich, P. (2017). 8 steps to implementing successful organizational change. Retrieved from https://thethrivingsmallbusiness.com/implementing-organizational-change/Time Estimate: 7 minutesQuinn, J. B. (1985, May). Managing innovation: Controlled chaos. Harvard Business Review.Time Estimate: 39 minutes
Satell, G. (2013). How to manage innovation. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2013/03/07/how-to-manage-innovation-2/#5167bcd84785Time Estimate: 10 minutes
Important Documents for This Week
Discussion: Evaluating Emerging Trends and Technologies for a Company
Through this week’s Learning Resources, you were introduced to the concept of emerging trends and technologies. With the rapid growth and expansion of these new technologies, it can be difficult to sort through them and identify ones that are of high quality. For a business, it is important not only to identify such new technologies and innovations but also to analyze their appropriateness and the value they could add to an organization.
For this Discussion, you will examine an emerging trend or technology and determine the potential value that it has for being incorporated into your company.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Review the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses, provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post a 150- to 225-word (2- to 3-paragraph) description of how you would go about assessing whether or not the adoption of an emerging trend or technology would add value to your company if you were the CEO. In your description, do the following:
- Identify the main areas of value you would be looking to add to your business (e.g., profitability).
- Describe the important pieces of information you would need to know, or need to take into consideration, about the emerging trend or technology in order to make a final decision.
- To support your response, be sure to reference at least one properly cited scholarly source.
Refer to the Week 3 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond with at least 75 words (1 paragraph) eachto two or more of your colleagues’ postings by doing one of the following:
- Suggest an additional area of value that could be added to a business.
- Propose one or more additional pieces of information your colleague might want to take into consideration when making a decision about the emerging trend or technology.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Submission and Grading Information
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 5
Assignment: Proposal for Implementing Emerging Trends or Technologies Within an Organization
You work as an IT analyst at XYZ Corporation, and your manager, Farah Ahmad, has asked you to develop a presentation for a new client on emerging trends and/or technologies that the client organization could integrate into its operations. First, you must research emerging trends or technologies presented in a recent news report, trade magazine, research publication, or other source. Online resources are posted annually outlining the emerging trends and technologies for the current and coming year; make sure you search the Internet for these resources as part of your research. You will also discuss the change management strategies to be used during the adoption process, as well as the strategies for implementation and integration of these technologies into the organization. Note that this PowerPoint presentation will be divided into two parts: analyzing the trends and implementing the trends.
(Note: For the purpose of this exercise, the “client company” could be a current or previous employer, Walden University, or any other company or organization with which you are familiar enough to perform your analysis.)
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Refer to the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses as you compose your Assignment.
By Day 7
Submit your completed presentation, to include the following.
Part 1: Analysis of Emerging Trends and Technologies (6–10 slides)
- Describe the two trends and/or technologies you identified from your research, including an explanation of what characterizes these trends or technologies as emerging. (1–2 slides)
- Analyze each trend for its application to the selected organization. Specifically:
- What is the history of the trend, and in what ways has it gained or is gaining popularity? (1 slide)
- What, if any, other organizations are incorporating this trend? If any, are there any results on its success? (1–2 slides)
- How could these trends apply to an organization? What is the appeal? (2–3 slides)
- Include any additional insights on the trends. (1–2 slides)
Part 2: Recommendations for Implementation (9–14 slides)
- Apply each trend. Specifically:
- What are some strategies and process considerations for implementing change within an organization? Be sure to address any challenges (i.e., organizational culture, reallocation of resources, etc.) that your client must consider upfront when implementing a change management process to incorporate the selected trends/technologies. (2–3 slides)
- How can these change management challenges be addressed by management within the client organization? (2–3 slides)
- What are your recommendations for how the organization could implement each trend? (2–3 slides)
- What are potential issues/risks (i.e., a problem that might arise from the implementation; for example, rejection of a new product by your customer base or unanticipated security risk) to the implementation? (1–2 slides)
- What are some possible strategies to mitigate these risks? (2–3 slides)
Note: In addition to the two parts of this Assignment, you should include a cover slide, a brief introduction to your “client company” (i.e., selected organization), and a References slide that includes properly formatted citations for a minimum of four scholarly sources to support the information you presented. Each content slide should also include detailed speaker’s notes that would be used to make the presentation to the leaders of the client company. Use the Week 3 Assignment Template, provided in this week’s Learning Resources, to complete this Assignment.
Refer to the Week 3 Assignment Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 3 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 3 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
Week in Review
This week, you focused on the concepts of emerging technologies and innovations. You examined how to determine the potential value of emerging trends or technologies and analyzed how an organization can apply them. You identified what processes are involved in change management for organizations. You also explored strategies and management techniques that organizations can use to successfully incorporate innovative technologies.
Next week, you will delve into the topic of ethical issues in IT by describing some examples of them, analyzing their impact on organizations, and illustrating how addressing them can lead to positive social change. You will also examine security threats in IT, including their impact on organizations and how organizations can incorporate risk management strategies to mitigate that impact.