Week 1: Information Systems: Organizational Resources and Technology Components
In each business, there is a process, or a delivery system or information system, that is changing rapidly under them.
These systems to which Moelis is referring, management information systems (MIS), have become critical aspects of a company’s technology infrastructure. From financial and personnel management to operational functions, these networks of hardware and software components enable the key functionality of businesses across all domains. In order to have a more fully developed understanding of the ways in which businesses operate, it is important to understand the underlying principles and components that enable the implementation of these systems.
This week, you will begin your exploration of information systems. In the Discussion, you will explain how an organization you are familiar with integrates management information systems. In the Assignment, you will describe aspects of management information systems, information technology, key organizational resources, and hardware and software.
- Explain the purpose of management information systems for an organization
- Describe functions provided by hardware and software
- Define what is meant by information and information technology
- Describe the three key organizational resources (people, information, and information technology) and their importance to an organization
- Explain the difference between hardware and software
Due This Week
|Discussion: Information Systems as Organizational Resources||Post your initial posting by Day 3.|
Respond to your colleagues by Day 5. Note: As you complete this first Discussion, be sure to reference the Week 1 Discussion Rubric.
|Assignment: Identifying Key Organizational Resources||Submit your Assignment by Day 7. Note: As you complete this first Assignment, be sure to reference the Week 1 Assignment Rubric.|
Management Information Systems and the Organization
Management information systems enable organizations to function more efficiently, which is why it is important to understand the many components that comprise these systems. These resources describe the components of information systems and explain how these systems support the operations of organizations.Guru99. (2018a). Components & role of MIS (management information system). Retrieved from https://www.guru99.com/rol-component-mis.htmlTime Estimate: 9 minutesJuneja, P. (n.d.). MIS – understanding information systems. Retrieved February 1, 2019, from https://www.managementstudyguide.com/information-systems.htmTime Estimate: 4 minutesLove, C. (2013, March 31). 1 – what is an information system [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qujsd4vkqFI Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 3 minutes.Tutorials Point. (2018). Management information system tutorial. Retrieved from https://www.tutorialspoint.com/management_information_system/index.htm Time Estimate: 1 minute
Hardware Versus Software
Information systems are dependent upon information technology to provide their functionality. Information technology is comprised of combinations of hardware and software components. These resources will help you to understand the difference between hardware and software and to identify examples of these two information technology categories.Computer Hope. (2018). What are the differences between hardware and software? Retrieved from https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000039.htm Time Estimate: 3 minutesLaureate Education (Producer). (2019a). Hardware vs. software [Interactive media]. Baltimore, MD: Author.Time Estimate: 2 minutesPatterson, D. J. (2014, December 12). Introduction to information technology: Part 1 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTmHD4pMl4 Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 8 minutes.Raza, S. (2018). Comparison of hardware vs. software: Difference between. Retrieved from http://www.bestdifferencebetween.com/comparison-hardware-software-difference-between/Time Estimate: 7 minutes
Important Documents for This Week
Discussion: Information Systems as Organizational Resources
Through this week’s Learning Resources, you have been introduced to information systems and have examined how information is changing the way businesses operate and interact. You have also read that there are three key organizational resources that are relevant and important from the perspective of MIS and that help to create competitive advantages for businesses: information, people, and information technology.
In this Discussion, you will identify an organization and explain how it incorporates management information systems and hardware and software tools into its operations.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Select an organization with which you are familiar (perhaps your own workplace) and consider the types of management information systems and key hardware and software tools that allow the organization to perform its basic operational functions.
- Review the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses, provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post a 150- to 225-word (2- to 3-paragraph) explanation of how a selected organization incorporates management information systems and key hardware and software tools. In your explanation, include the following:
- Briefly describe the organization you selected, including a set of baseline functions that the organization requires (e.g., human resources personnel, cost/accounting, customer management, inventory, etc.).
- Explain the types of management information systems required to provide the baseline functions you identified.
- Identify key hardware and software tools that would be part of the organization’s technology toolkit and explain why they are necessary.
- To support your response, be sure to reference at least one properly cited scholarly source.
Refer to the Week 1 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond with at least 75 words (1 paragraph) eachto two or more of your colleagues’ postings by doing one of the following:
- Make a suggestion for an additional type of management information system that might be required for your colleague’s selected organization, including a rationale for why you suggested it.
- Identify one or more additional key hardware and/or software tools that could be added to the technology toolkit for your colleague’s selected organization, including a rationale for why you recommend including them.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Submission and Grading Information
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 5
Assignment: Identifying Key Organizational Resources
What comes to mind when you think of the term information systems? Has your definition changed after reading this week’s Learning Resources? You might focus on the technological components that collect data and disseminate information. Or, you might focus on how people interact with information systems, such as how they use the information or how management information systems are implemented. Whichever aspect stands out, it’s important to know how information systems continue to grow and affect organizations around the world.
In this Assignment, you will respond to a set of questions on information technology, management information systems, and hardware and software.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Refer to the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses as you compose your Assignment.
By Day 7
Submit your responses to the following prompts:
- Define information and information technology and provide examples of each. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
- Describe the role of management information systems in supporting a company’s business functions. (150 words, or 2 paragraphs)
- Select two types of information systems a company might need and explain why those systems are important. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- People, information, and information technology are key resources in an organization. Place these three resources in order of importance to an organization (1 being most important, 3 being least important), and explain why you have ordered them as you have. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
- Describe the role of the knowledge workers, or people, in a company in ensuring the management information systems are used effectively. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- Define the terms hardware and software. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
- Identify three types of hardware required to support a company’s operations and describe how they support those operations. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
- Identify three types of software required to support a company’s operations and describe how they support those operations. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
Note: For each prompt, be sure to reference at least one scholarly source to support your answer. Use the Walden Undergraduate Paper Template, provided in this week’s Learning Resources, to complete this Assignment.
Refer to the Week 1 Assignment Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK1Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 1 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 1 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK1Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
Week in Review
This week, you explored the purpose of management information systems for organizations and defined what is meant by information and information technology. You explored what organizational resources are and why they are important in an organization, as well as the functions of and differences between hardware and software.
Next week, you will explore e-commerce models and IT systems by analyzing how information systems enable customer relationship management and supply chain management, as well as appraising the purpose of e-collaboration when supporting e-business operations. You will examine features of e-commerce and analyze the various characteristics of e-commerce models that organizations incorporate.