Summary of Population of Interest and Discussion of Interview with a Healthcare Professional
Compose a paper that describes the population of interest (POI) that you have chosen and a summary of the interview with a healthcare professional with experience working with your chosen POI.
Potential Focus Populations:
- Chronic Medical Illness Management (choose specific illness): Congestive heart failure (CHF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), type 2 diabetes, type 1 diabetes, chronic renal failure, renal or hemodynamic dialysis, sickle cell anemia, multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, Crohn’s disease, obesity
- Mental Health: Depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease, eating disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), bipolar disorder
- Cancer: All types
- Organ Transplantation
- Pain Management: Chronic
- Home Health/Hospice: Choose specific population
- Children with Special Health Care Needs: Physical or cognitive disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, premature birth/NICU infants, genetic disorders
The summary of population of interest (POI) is where you will justify why this is an important POI; therefore, you need to supply data and information that supports your choice of POI. You do this by providing background information, statistical support, and specific information about the POI. The paper should not be purely anecdotal information from you or your sources. The paper should focus on the following:
- Consider the following questions as you justify the reasons you have chosen this POI:
- Why is this POI important to the field of nursing? Why is this POI important to study?
- How does this POI affect the staff/patients/clients?
- What is the current state of this POI in health care?
- Is this POI a local, country, or global concern?
- Make sure to discuss in detail your plan for how you will research this POI. How do you plan to search the current literature for actual research studies on the topic?
- Be sure to identify how specific theory and knowledge from each of the following areas contributed to your ability to research and plan a course of action for your chosen POI. Consider how each of the following areas has impacted you, what you have learned in each of these areas, and how these experiences have shaped you as a student and RN:
- Specific prior general education courses
- Specific prior nursing courses
- Your nursing background and experience
For this part of the Assignment, you will conduct an interview with a professional who works with your particular POI, preferably a case manager or a participant in case management activities with the chosen POI.
Criteria for the interview:
- Interviewee should have at least a bachelor’s degree and have been working with the POI for at least 1 year.
- Interviewee should preferably be a registered nurse (RN), but it is acceptable to interview another professional such as a social worker, physician, or ancillary specialist.
- Interviewee can work in a variety of different settings, such as acute care, chronic care, or long-term care institutions.
- Interview can take place in person or via phone, email, or other distance format.
- There is no time requirement or limit for the interview, just make sure you address all questions.
Step 1 – Identify a professional to interview.
Step 2 – Create a list of 10 questions specific to your POI and the professional you have chosen to interview. Questions should be open-ended. Demographic questions do not count, and that information should be included in the introductory paragraph of your paper.
Step 3 – Conduct the interview.
Step 4 – Take notes during the interview or record the interview.
Step 5 – Write up the interview and turn into the Dropbox.
The paper should follow this format:
- Discussion of POI
- Introduction to who you interviewed: basic information about who the person is, place of employment, primary job responsibilities
- List of questions with corresponding answers
- Summary of what you learned in this interview process
- Conclusion: summarizing Parts 1 & 2
The finished Assignment should be 5–6 pages, excluding the title page and references. This paper should have at least three references. The viewpoint and purpose of this Assignment should be clearly established and sustained.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
- review APA 6th edition formatting and citation information found in the Writing Center, online, or elsewhere in the course.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th edition format for organization, style, and crediting sources, including:
- properly formatted header
- 12-point, double-spaced, Times New Roman font
- in-text citations
- title page and reference page
- headings (if applicable)
Submit your work to the Assignment Dropbox before midnight on the last day of the unit.
Assignment: Clinical Practice Experience Log
This course contains Assignments where you will be required to submit a Clinical Practice Experience Log. This document will be used to record the number of practice experience hours and the type of practice experience activities. Students who fail to submit the Clinical Practice Experience Log to the Dropbox with the specified Assignment will post a failing grade (“F”) for the course as a whole, regardless of performance on Discussion topics, Seminars, and other Assignments.
Complete the Assignment as indicated. Record the hours that you spent completing each aspect of this Assignment (preparation, reading, writing, presenting, etc.) on the Clinical Practice Experience Log (located under Course Resources). Use the same log as you complete this for each Assignment. By the end of this course you should have one Clinical Practice Experience Log complete with all of your entries.
Submit the Clinical Practice Experience Log to the Assignment Dropbox with your Assignment.