Workplace Educational Plan
The purpose of this Assignment is to gain practical experience using the tools, organizations, and communication skills learned to design an educational strategies program for colleagues in your specific workplace or educational institution.
Critical thinking will be used to create an educational program based on the educational needs of two culturally diverse populations. You will also explore the cultural competence of your current work (or educational) facility, tools, and organizations already in place, and how you can help your colleagues understand the populations they are caring for each day. You will identify problem areas and resolutions to address them in your plan.
After you have written your educational plan, share it with a colleague at work. Talk to them about your thoughts, your goals, and why you feel the interventions will be effective. Have your colleague fill out this survey following their review of your educational plan. You will attach your survey to the Unit 10 Dropbox in addition to your Assignment.
Please write a 4–5-page paper (not including the title page and reference page) using APA 6th edition format that includes the following:
- Introduction (1 paragraph)
- Assessment of your workplace: In this section, you will discuss the current state of your workplace or educational environment in regards to cultural education. Topics to address include:
- Does your workplace or educational environment include any statement about cultural competence in the mission, vision, and/or philosophy? If yes, please show directly where. If not, please identify how or where you would add cultural competence into the mission, vision, and/or philosophy (1 paragraph).
- What are the ways your colleagues use cultural competence best in the workplace or educational environment (1 paragraph)?
- Where is there room for improvement in cultural competence in the workplace or educational environment (1 paragraph)?
- Does your organization provide professional growth opportunities for transcultural nursing practice?
- Culturally Diverse Populations: Provide a brief background on the two culturally diverse populations you most often work with in your workplace or learning environment (1–2 paragraphs).
- What tools do you have in your workplace or educational environment that help with cultural education of the two populations you described? How do they assist in caring for the culturally diverse patient (1 paragraph)?
- What organizations does your workplace or educational environment use to help with cultural education of the two populations you described and why are these organizations useful? If none, what organizations would be most applicable? Why? (1 paragraph)
- Plan for Education for Colleagues: Include a detailed plan of education for your colleagues related to the specific populations you discussed. Include information related to:
- goals (one to two) for the organization
- how to access and use the organizations you believe are useful to culturally competent patient care
- the role of the transcultural nurse
- specific cultural care competencies to increase patient satisfaction in your facility
- how you would “educate” your colleagues in terms of recognizing how to increase effective communication (both in writing and verbally) with their patients
- how communication impacts patient experiences
- any information that will help your colleagues better communicate, care, and educate the patients you most commonly work with in the clinical environment (3–4 paragraphs)
- Conclusion (1 paragraph)
You must include at least three evidence-based, peer-reviewed resources to support your ideas. These include .gov and .org professional websites, journal articles, and your textbook(s).
You must include headings in your paper indicating each section. This is a key concept to professional writing. It is also a fantastic method for ensuring you have met all Assignment requirements. Use the grading rubric as a checklist once you are completed to verify you have addressed all components of the Assignment.
To view the grading rubric for this Assignment, please visit the grading rubrics submodule under Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the grading rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition format.
How to Submit
Submit your Assignment to the unit Dropbox before 11:59 p.m. midnight on Sunday of the unit.
When you are ready to submit your Assignment, select the unit Dropbox then attach your file. Make sure to save a copy of the Assignment you submit.