Outcome assessed in this Assignment:
NU416-3: Investigate the factors that influence patients with co-morbid chronic illnesses across the lifespan and across transitions of care and health.
GEL-1.03: Demonstrate college-level communications through the oral delivery of original materials in Standard English.
Approximately one third of all veterans returning from service in the Middle East have received a mental health diagnosis (Ganzer, 2016). The most common diagnoses differ between male and female veterans. Female veterans are at greater risk for post-traumatic stress disorder, military sexual trauma, and suicide (Ganzer, 2016) while male veterans are at greatest risk for post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and traumatic brain injury (National Alliance for Mental Illness, 2017). The need for mental health services to our newest veterans has never been greater.
Ganzer, C. A. (2016). Veteran women: Mental health-related consequences of military service. American Journal of Nursing, 116(11), 32-39. doi: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000505583.09590.d4
National Alliance for Mental Illness. (2017). Veterans & active duty. Retrieved from https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/Veterans-and-Active-Duty
For this Assignment, you will determine the adequacy mental health services available to veterans in your community.
Assess the community and/or state sponsored services that are available to veterans with co-morbid chronic mental illness. For example, what services are available to a veteran who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and alcohol abuse? In a 10-12 slide informative PowerPoint presentation (title slide and reference slides are in addition to the 10-12 slide requirement), Include the following:
- What factors (outside of military service) influence the veterans need for mental health services? (Use evidence to support your rationale.)
- How is the veteran evaluated to determine eligibility for services?
- What is the cost of these services to those veterans receiving it?
- Are the available services in your community adequate for the population served? Explain your answer.
- What recommendations do you have for improving the available services? (Are more services needed? Are different services needed? How would additional funding help?)
Your presentation should establish a clear viewpoint and purpose. A minimum of three references should be included, and placed in a reference slide at the end of your presentation.
The presentation should include speaker notes, which will assist in the audio portion below.
You will also need to add audio to your presentation. The audio should present the information, not just read from the presentation slides. Use your speaker notes to assist with the audio narration. Please keep your audio narration to a maximum of 20 minutes.
How to record on PowerPoint:
- Prepare to record the narration. Open the presentation and Click the Slide Show tab on the menu bar. Click the Record Slide Show button and select Start Recording From Beginning from the pull-down menu. The Record Slide Show dialog box will open. Place a check in the Narrations And Laser Pointer check box and click Start Recording. The Slide Show preview window will open.
- Record the narration. Click the right-pointing arrow in the left corner of the preview window to begin the narration. Record the presentation in a quiet environment and in a professional manner reflective of a presentation given in your workplace. Pause the narration at any time by clicking the pause button on the Recording shortcut menu, located in the upper-left corner of the screen.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above)
- consult the Grading Rubric to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
- include a minimum of three references
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th edition formatting and citation style as found in the Writing Center’s Citation Guidelines.