Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
NU416-2: Analyze new technologies and virtual environments that foster innovative home care technologies to monitor and self-manage co-morbid chronic health conditions.
Self-management of chronic health conditions via healthcare technology has demonstrated to be beneficial to both the patient and the healthcare provider. Hospitalizations are less frequent, quality of life is improved, and patients are empowered to make decisions regarding treatment of their chronic illness (Radhakrishnan, Xie, Berkley, & Kim, 2016).
Today, it is estimated that up to 15-20% of adolescents in the United States have one or more chronic illnesses (Jin, An, & Wang, 2017). Some of the most common chronic illnesses in children are:
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Cerebral Palsy
Search for an innovative technological device or program that will assist in the self-management of one of the above mentioned chronic illnesses in children and teenagers. Prepare a document instructing a child (school age or adolescent) and family regarding the features of this technology and its use. Some things to be included in this teaching document are:
- How will this technology or device assist with medication management? Give examples.
- How will this technology or device assist in early detection of symptom changes? Give examples.
- How will this technology or device assist in disease management education?
- Will younger clients be able to use this technology independently, or will assistance from parents or guardians be needed?
- Will this technology follow the child throughout the teenage years, or will a change be needed as the client ages and develops? Give an example.
When creating this teaching document:
· Create a document that considers a child’s level of understanding.
· Do not use medical terms a child and the family might not understand.
· Individualize the document to a child’s needs and style of communication.
· Use evidence-based nursing practice to support your teaching.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors;
- review APA formatting and citation information found in the Writing Center, online, or elsewhere in the course.
Your teaching document should:
- Be up to two pages in length;
- Use at least two scholarly nursing articles or resources to support your work;
- Follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- Be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- Display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- Use APA 6th edition format for crediting sources.
Jin, M., An, Q., & Wang, L. (2017). Chronic conditions in adolescents (Review), Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, 14(1), 478-482. DOI: 10.3892/etm.2017.4526
Radhakrishnan, K., Xie, B., Berkley, A., & Kim, M. (2016). Barriers and Facilitators for Sustainability of Tele-Homecare Programs: A Systematic Review. Health Services Research, 51(1), 48-75. doi:10.1111/1475-6773.12327