Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
NU416: Develop strategies of therapeutic communication for use with patients, families, and the interprofessional team.
PC 3.2: Interact with others in a professional manner using appropriate communication and presentation skills
The baccalaureate-prepared nurse plays an integral role in the interprofessional care team. As the frequency of chronic illness increases, the successful nurse must learn how to effectively communicate with members of the interprofessional care team to promote health in the home setting.
Alex, 2-years old and the first child for parents Michael and Kim, was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis one year ago. The pediatric nurse practitioner recommended testing for Cystic Fibrosis after seeing Alex for his 9-month well-child check-up and discovering that he measured very low on growth and weight charts in comparison to other 9-month-old babies. Alex has had three respiratory infections in the last 6 months that have required hospitalization. You are the home care nurse that is assigned to develop a home care strategy for Alex and his family following discharge from his most recent hospitalization.
Using course readings and other evidence-based nursing care resources as a guide to prepare a 3-4 page recommendation paper that:
- Determines the community resources needed to promote health and minimize hospitalizations for Alex
- Identifies members of the interprofessional care team that will contribute to management of Alex’s chronic illness (Michael and Kim, Alex’s parents, are integral members of this team) and the role each would play in the management of Alex’s condition.
- Describes evidence-based therapeutic communication strategies that you would use with Alex, his parents, and the interprofessional care team.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above)
- consult the Grading Rubric to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- use APA 6th edition format.