Public expectations for quality, safe healthcare are high. As the largest group of healthcare providers, professional nurses play a pivotal role in safe, quality care. Nurses lead and coordinate with numerous regulatory and professional bodies to promote quality and protect safety. Some of these include:
- The Joint Commission
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- The ANA’s National Center for Nursing Quality
- The QSEN Institute
- State Departments of Health
Topic 1: Quality and Safety Standards
Examine the resources provided in your textbook and Web activities this week to learn about the quality and safety agencies listed above. Choose one agency and discuss the following aspects:
- Give a brief description of the agency including its mission.
- How does this agency contribute to healthcare quality and safety? Discuss any standardized quality/safety guidelines or goals associated with this agency.
- What is the role of the professional nurse in leading and coordinating with this agency to ensure high quality, safe healthcare?
- Cite your sources.