Week 6: Post-Menopausal and Sexuality Issues in the Maturing and Older Adult
No unread replies. No replies.
The purpose of this student discussion is to discuss Post-Menopausal and Sexuality Issues in the Maturing and Older Adult
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1) Discuss the symptoms related to genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM) (WO 6.2,6.3) (CO 1,3,5)
2) Reflect on personal comfort level when performing a sexual history on the maturing an older adult. (WO 6.2,6.3) (CO 1,3,5)
The initial posting to the graded collaborative discussions is due by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT.
Peer responses and responses to faculty must be posted prior to the week deadline of Sunday 11:59 MT.
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0).
Total Points Possible: 70
Ageism and gender bias can affect to whom and how we ask about sexual health, sexual activity, and concerning symptoms. Depending on your own level of comfort and cultural norms this can be a tough conversation for some providers but this is an important topic. As this week’s required NAMS videos discussed, women are wanting us to ask about sexual concerns. This week we also reviewed sexually transmitted diseases and the effects of ageism on the time to diagnosis so it is necessary to ask these questions and provide good education for all patients. You will not know any needs unless you ask.
- Review the required NAMS videos. What was the most surprising statement or topic that you heard in the videos? Explain why this was surprising to you.
- What is GSM? What body systems are involved? How does GSM affect a woman’s quality of life?
- Review one aspect of treatment that Dr Shapiro recommends for GSM and include an EBP journal article or guideline recommendation in addition to referencing the video in your response.
Sexuality and the older adult
- What is your level of comfort in taking a complete sexual history? Is this comfort level different for male or female patients? If so, why?
- How will this week’s information impact the way you will interact with your mature and elderly clients in the future?
|DISCUSSION CONTENT Category Points % Description Application of Course Knowledge 30 44 initial discussion post includes the following: 1) Discusses the most surprising information learned in the required NAMS videos. 2) GSM explanation includes definition, involved body systems and how GSM affects a woman’s quality of life. 3) Discusses Dr Shapiro’s GSM treatment recommendations AND includes an EBP journal article or guideline recommendation in addition to referencing the video in the response. 4) Assesses level of comfort in taking a complete sexual history. 5) Summarizes how the discussion’s sexuality information will impact future interactions with mature and elderly clients Support from Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) 15 21 1. Discussion post is supported with appropriate, scholarly sources; AND 2. Sources are published within the last 5 years ; AND 3. Reference list is provided and in-text citations match; AND 4. Includes a minimum of one scholarly reference, textbook is not used Interactive Dialogue 15 21 1. Student provides a substantive* response to at least one topic-related post of a peer; AND 2. Student provides a substantive response to any faculty questions asked regarding the initial student post. 3. Evidence from appropriate scholarly sources are included; 4. Submits a minimum of two posts on two different days. (*) A substantive post adds new content or insights to the discussion thread and information from student’s original post is not reused in peer or faculty response 60 86% Total CONTENT Points= 40 points DISCUSSION FORMAT Category Points % Description Organization 5 7 1) Discussion is presented in a logical format, AND 2) Responses are in sequence with the listed bullet points AND 3) The discussion response is understandable and easy to follow AND 4) All responses are relevant to the discussion topic. Grammar, Syntax, Spelling & Punctuation 5 7 Discussion post has minimal grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation, or APA format errors* 10 14% Total FORMAT Points= 10 points DISCUSSION TOTAL=____ out of 70 points|