Physical Fitness Assessment
[WLO: 2] [CLOs: 3, 4, 7]
The Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR Q) is a screening tool to determine if a person should check with his or her doctor prior to completing an exercise program. To begin, take the PAR Q assessment in the textbook on page 33. If you are not cleared to take the assessment, recruit another willing adult to take the PAR Q assessment for you. If cleared by the PARQ, have this adult take the physical fitness assessment for you. Use these results to complete the assignment.
If you are cleared to complete an exercise activity, you are going to assess your cardiovascular endurance by completing the Measuring Cardiorespiratory Fitness Laboratory Assessment 3.1A: The 1.5 Mile Run Test or Laboratory Assessment 3.1B: The 1 Mile Walk Test located on pages 76-77 of your course textbook. Look at the results charts in your textbook and determine your fitness level. Continue with your journal by addressing the following bulleted items:
- Discuss why it is important to complete a PAR Q readiness assessment prior to starting an exercise program.
- Explain the importance of assessing your beginning fitness level.
- Expound on your results. Provide details such as duration and beginning and ending heart rate. If you are unsure of how to take your heart rate, refer to Figure 3.2 on page 56 in the course text.
- Analyze how your results compare to other individuals within your age range based on the chart in the textbook.
- Explain whether you were happy with these results. Why or why not?
- Whether you were happy with your results or not, identify two ways you could improve your results.
- Explain how the lifestyle factor of physical fitness affects overall health and wellness.
- Discuss how these results relate back to your physical wellness results from Week 1.
- Express which other dimensions of wellness are affected by physical wellness and how.
For the journal assignment, write out each question and then answer it. Your journal should be a minimum of one page in length (not including the title page or reference page). As a minimum, include the course textbook as a reference in your response to this lab activity. Include an APA formatted title page and reference page. See the Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.) web page for additional guidance. Submit to Waypoint by Day 7.