Week 4 – Discussion
6161 unread replies.8585 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Life Stressors [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 3, 4]<|
Stress is a response by the body from demands placed on it and is incorporated into our lifestyle. Stressors come in two forms: eustress, known as good stress, and distress, known as bad stress. Both types of stress can result in a stress response. Stress can impact health and performance. College students are no exception. “About one-third of students who responded to the 2013 National College Health Assessment reported that their stress levels had negatively affected their academic performance,” (Powers & Dodd, 2017, p. 297). For this discussion, you will assess the amount of stress in your life and examine its effects on your health and wellness by completing the following tasks:
- Take the Laboratory 11.2: Stress Index Questionnaire in your course textbook.
- Tabulate your results and write them down along with a brief assessment of your results to be used in your discussion response.
- Select one of the relaxation techniques that are listed in Chapter 11 of your text and practice the method.
In your discussion response, address the following items:
- Discuss your results, from the Stress Index Questionnaire, stating your score and stress category. Were you surprised by your score?
- Identity at least two of your major stressors impacting your wellness (only share stressors you are comfortable sharing).
- Explain which dimensions of wellness are impacted by stress.
- Describe the relaxation technique that you tried in your journal.
- Do you think the relaxation technique you tried would be effective in reducing your stress level if practiced on a regular basis? Why or why not?
- Elaborate on the major health risks and diseases associated with distress. Use a reference to support your comments.
Include the text and one additional scholarly reference correctly cited in APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.) to help support your response. See the Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) and Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) web pages for additional guidance.
- To assist you in completing the library research required for this assignment, view the How Do I Begin? (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which provides an overview of conducting searches in the library, generating keywords, and understanding your assignment prompt.