Week 1 – Discussion
7777 unread replies.9393 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Carmen: Dimensions of Wellness Case Study [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7]|
Many individuals spend a lifetime trying to achieve optimal health and wellness. Wellness is strongly related to our lifestyle choices. As noted by Powers and Dodd (2017), lifestyle, genetics, environment, and healthcare are the four factors that most influence health. Lifestyle has the biggest impact on health as 53% of all diseases are due to lifestyle.
Carmen is a 45-year-old single mother of two children. She has a good job, has strong spiritual values and beliefs, and has three close friends who she gets together with on a regular basis. However, Carmen eats fast food five days a week, feels stressed out most of the time, and does not have time to exercise. She cares about the environment but does not take the time to recycle. She would love to go back to school to get her Masters of Business Administration degree but does not think she has the time. Her current occupation provides her with adequate money to take care of her children, but she finds herself struggling to pay her bills.
Review the eight dimensions of wellness listed in the text and address the following items in your post:
- Evaluate which dimensions of wellness Carmen is strengthening with her current lifestyle and behaviors.
- Describe which dimensions of wellness she needs to improve.
- Explain three diseases Carmen is at risk for due to her poor lifestyle habits.
- Identify three healthy lifestyle recommendations and examine how these lifestyle factors could help Carmen reduce her risk of disease and help her achieve overall wellness.
- Identify one way Carmen can manage her finances better.
- Include at least two scholarly references in addition to the textbook, follow APA formatting standards as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center to help support your response. See the Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) web page and the Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) document for additional guidance.
- To assist you in completing the library research required for this assignment, view the How Do I Begin? (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which provides an overview of conducting searches in the library, generating keywords, and understanding your assignment prompt.