Primary Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400-600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides a guaranteed unpaid and job-protected leave of absence for employees to provide care for family and medical reasons. It allows them to continue to have company-provided group health insurance coverage. They are eligible for 12 weeks of leave in a 12-month period to care for family members or 26 weeks of leave to care for a member of the military. When they return, they are eligible for their previous job or one with similar duties and responsibilities. With your classmates, please discuss the following:
- What are some examples of ways that employers have violated FMLA laws? If you were their human resources (HR) professional, how would you have prevented the violation?
- How would you change the FMLA to help companies and employees better manage work and family responsibilities?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 200 word reply about his or her Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting? What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Discussion Board Rubric
|Expectation||Points Possible||Points Earned||Comments|
|Application of Learning Material Content: Post demonstrates understanding of Learning Material content.||20|
|Application of Course Knowledge: Post contributes unique perspectives or insights gleaned from text/learning resources, or specified by assignment.||20|
|DB Responses: Responds substantively to two posts. Responses encourage interaction in the Discussion Board and classroom community.||20|
|Organization: Post presents information logically and is clearly relevant to discussion topic.||8|
|Professional Language: Posts contain accurate grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation with few or no errors. Any resources should be cited in APA format or style specified in the assignment.||7|
|Total Points Earned|