Reminder: Initial Discussion Board posts due by Friday, responses due by Tuesday
Students will be expected to post their first initial discussion board posting by Friday of each week. Discussion posts will be graded and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Students are expected to post their responses to peers by Tuesday. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Restrictive Policies Discussion
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write at least 350–550 words that will respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
The following case study provides an example of an ethical/legal issue faced by many HR professionals. The issue of technology in the workplace and employee use of the technology has become an increasingly common challenge, and you have seen how this may be an issue with the jewelry company.
Click here for the case study.
After reading the above article and researching other examples of what some companies are facing, post your response and a defense of your position to the following questions:
- Do you feel a policy restricting employee Internet use is ethically sound?
- Do you feel that the monitoring of employee activity on the computer is ethically sound?
- What are the business implications for employees’ personal use of company assets?
- What approach will you take to address this issue with the jewelry company?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least two of your fellow classmates with at least a 200–300 word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- How would this topic be of value to you in your life or career?