Week 4 – Discussion 2
4747 unread replies.6262 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Case Study: Mrs. Smith [WLOs: 2, 3, 4, 5] [CLOs: 3, 4, 5, 6]<|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please read chapter 5 in your text and review the required resources.
Your client, Mrs. Smith, just began training with you. She complains of lower back pain and occasional neck pain. She sits for extended periods of time at work in an ill-fitting chair. She rarely exercises and always takes the elevator at work. Mrs. Smith is overweight by 40 lbs., she drinks three large diet sodas every day because she needs the caffeine to stay awake, and she smokes at least four cigarettes a day (usually after meals). After assessing her, you decide that her flexibility is poor and needs improvement.
Examine the exercise mode of flexibility by addressing the following:
- Describe how you would assess Mrs. Smith’s flexibility.
- Explain which flexibility test(s) you would select and explain your choices. Refer to the Chapter 5 Laboratory Activities in your course text.
- Summarize the procedure for one of the flexibility tests that you would perform on your client.
- Appraise the following and include what you will say to your client to educate and advise her regarding these elements:
- The factors affecting flexibility.
- The factors associated with lower back and neck pain.
- The benefits of a flexibility program.
- Develop a flexibility plan by selecting four exercises or stretches that would be useful for Mrs. Smith to begin addressing her neck and back pain. For each of the four exercises:
- Identify the muscles used when performing these exercises/stretches. You must use the correct medical terminology for the muscles used in each exercise (i.e., rather than saying back muscles, clearly state the specific name(s) of the muscles targeted via your exercises).
- Briefly describe the following to your client:
- How often and when to perform the exercises/stretches.
- The type of stretch.
- How long to hold the stretch.
- Discuss three prevention tips for your client to assist her with beginning to make lifestyle changes that will have a great impact on her pain levels and tiredness.
Your initial post must be at least 250 words and contain at least one scholarly source, in addition to your course textbook. All sources must be cited in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.