Week 3 – Discussion 2
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Steps of Metacognition [CLOs: 3, 4]|
Prepare: Before responding to this discussion, click through the interactive above (Links to an external site.) and carefully review the descriptions of each step of metacognition in Section 3.2 of Chapter 3.
Reflect: Metacognitive activities, such as this discussion and the Metacognitive Forums, can help you reflect on your own learning and develop higher-order thinking. As you complete this discussion, you may realize you were not always aware of how and why your thoughts corresponded with your actions in the past. Pausing to analyze why you’re doing what you’re doing can help you improve the final quality of your work.
Write: In complete sentences and a minimum of 250 words, address the following:
- Assess your progress as an intentional learner by considering each metacognitive step: mulling, connecting, rehearsing, attending, expressing, assessing, reflecting, and revisiting.
- Which step do you use with ease? Describe how you use it.
- Which step is most challenging for you to use? Why?
- Which step do you skip over or ignore completely? Why?
- Imagine someone asks, “What kind of student are you?” How would you answer? What would they observe about your study techniques? Consider things such as the following: engagement with course resources (textbook, video, articles, Instructor Guidance, announcements), how often you log in to class, participation in discussion forums, approach to taking quizzes, etc.
- Now imagine that same person asks, “What kind of student would you like to be?” List three specific things you are doing to become the student you want to be.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. What have you learned from your classmate that can help you be the learner you want to be? What can you suggest or share with your classmate to help him or her become the learner they would like to be? Each response should be a minimum of 50 words.