Week 6 – Discussion Forum
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
The grading rubric is based on 10 points, and the discussion is worth 4% of your grade.
|Professional and Ethical Reflection (Video Presentation) [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLO: 4]|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Chapter 7 in the textbook.
- Review Section 2.2, pages 34 and 37.
- Watch Student Privacy 101: FERPA for Parents and Students (Links to an external site.).
- Review the National Association of Special Education Teachers Code of Ethics: Preamble—Statement of Purpose (Links to an external site.).
- Review Educational Rights and IEPs (Links to an external site.).
- Review additional required and recommended resources to support your professional career path.
- Review the Instructor Guidance lesson for this week.
- Thoroughly read the assignment instructions for this discussion forum post.
- Carefully read the content instructions listed below.
- Complete the ESE601 Week 6 Professional and Ethical Reflection Discussion Forum (Links to an external site.) interactive related to this week’s discussion forum and assignment.
- Review the Week 6 final paper (Resource Manual for Educating Students With Exceptionalities) description to see where this artifact fits into your final paper.
As you navigate this discussion forum, consider how you can apply these concepts and critical terms to your chosen path or learning environment in the field of education. Consider the ethical and professional guidelines that guide or govern your area of education. Points to ponder as you begin:
- P-12: Consider the state or educational standards your district follows or the Council for Exceptional Children Guidelines.
- Early Childhood: The National Association for the Education of Young Children or your local education standards.
- Post-secondary: Adult learning or training environments (e.g., educational, military, corporate environments, etc.) and standards aligning with ethics and professional learning.
After watching the Student Privacy 101: FERPA for Parents and Students (Links to an external site.)video,
- Create an initial response directly in Canvas using the video upload or record media feature that responds to the prompts below.
- These resources will guide you in recording and submitting a video to a discussion forum.
- Web Recording Do’s and Don’ts download
- Tip: It is recommended that you write down what you want to say and rehearse before recording.
- In order to complete this discussion forum, you may use the native video tool in your classroom. Please review the Canvas Video Submission Instructions (Links to an external site.) in order to get started. This guide will familiarize you with the tool and review how to record your video to the classroom.
- As an alternative, you may use an external platform called Screencast-O-Matic (Links to an external site.). Please review the Screencast-O-Matic Quick-Start Guide (Links to an external site.)instructions in order to get started. This guide will familiarize you with the tool and review how to upload your video to the classroom. If you choose to use another video recording tool for your submission, please follow the guide instructions to upload an MP4 video file into your classroom using the same steps.
- All submissions require an upload of the video to the classroom. Submission of a link to a video does not fulfill the submission requirements.
For each question,
- State your answers to the following, specifically using support from the readings and Instructor Guidance lesson from Week 6 and any additional credible sources:
- How does FERPA relate directly to the CEC and NASET standard of ethics for special educators?
- What characteristics and behaviors will make you stand out as an ethical educator?
- What action will you take to model ethical behaviors and conduct when working with students with exceptionalities and diverse learning needs in your chosen area of education?
Review the video posts of your classmates made in Canvas, and reply in the discussion forum under their initial post. Choose two peers to endorse, question, or refute each viewpoint, citing the CEC or NASET Code of Ethics, or other relevant standards.
Distinguished responses will
- Include a question about your colleague’s response.
- Offer an additional resource that supports this week’s topics.
- Discuss your colleague’s point of view.
- Share your own related personal or professional experiences.
- Demonstrate critical thinking by including real-world application.
- Support statements and responses with scholarly resources.
Though two replies are the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and application of the material, you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have made (including your instructor) before the last day of the discussion period. This will extend the conversation while providing opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real work experiences with this topic.