Week 3 – Discussion Forum
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
The grading rubric is based on 10 points, and the discussion is worth 4% of your grade.
|Assessment Results and LRE Continuum (Scenario) [WLO: 1] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4]|
This discussion is your opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of using assessment results and data to accurately place exceptional learners in accordance with Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Review the following sections in Chapters 1 and 8 in your Inclusion: Effective Practices for All Students text.
- Section 1.2: What Are Key Concepts That Support Inclusive Education?
- Section 8.1: What Formal Plans Are Required for Students With Disabilities for Effective Inclusive Education?
- Read Reflections on the Concept of the Least Restrictive Environment in Special Education.
- Read Envisioning an Improved Continuum of Special Education Services for Students With Learning Disabilities: Considering Intervention Intensity.
- Read Guiding IEP Teams on Meeting the Least Restrictive Environment Mandate.
- Review the Instructor Guidance lesson for this week.
- Read the scenario below.
- Thoroughly read the instructions for this discussion forum post.
- Complete the ESE601 Week 3 Assessment Results and LRE Continuum Discussion Forum (Links to an external site.)interactive focusing on choosing appropriate placement options based on evaluation results and pertinent data.
As you navigate this scenario, consider how you can apply these concepts and critical terms to your chosen path or learning environment in the field of education. Points to ponder as you begin:
- P-12: Consider the state or educational standards your district follows or the Common Core State Standards.
- Early Childhood: Consider The National Association for the Education of Young Children or your local education standards.
- Post-secondary: Consider the adult learning or training environments (e.g., educational, military, corporate environments) and standards aligning with professional learning.
According to the Henry Evaluation Report downloaddocument you reviewed in the Week 2 assignment, Henry will frequently look around the room before participating in whole-group activities, copying what his peers are doing, so not to be embarrassed that he does not understand the learning material or what is being asked. Both you and Mr. Franklin have observed this same documented behavior on multiple instances during classroom instruction and other activities. Because he has never been a behavior problem or disruptive, you are afraid that Henry’s introverted nature will cause him to fall further behind as his lack of progress goes unnoticed. It has been determined by a multi-disciplinary evaluation team that Henry has a specific learning disability, which negatively impacts his reading comprehension and ability to organize his thoughts on paper. Help Mr. Franklin and the evaluation and IEP teams discuss the most appropriate learning environment for Henry.
Initial Post: Create an initial post in two to three paragraphs to
- Explain your recommendation to the evaluation and IEP teams for Henry’s placement (LRE) based on the evaluation results.
- Compose a strong and well-written rationale supporting your decision.
- Use scholarly literature to support your statements and responses.
- Refer to the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide and the Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table if you need a refresher.
Review the posts of your classmates and that of your instructor. Respond to at least two peers by comparing your placement decisions based on the unique background created. Be sure to endorse, question, or refute your peer’s placement decision, compared with your LRE decision with supporting evidence from the literature. You are encouraged to provide additional resources that will assist with your explanation.
Distinguished responses will
- Include a question about your colleague’s response.
- Offer an additional resource that supports this week’s topics.
- Discuss your colleague’s point of view.
- Share your own related personal or professional experiences.
- Demonstrate critical thinking by including real-world application.
- Support statements and responses with scholarly resources.
Though two replies are the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and application of the material, you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have made (including your instructor) before the last day of the discussion period. This will extend the conversation while providing opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real work experiences with this topic.