Week 3 – Assignment
Universal Learning Characteristics
[WLOs: 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 3]
Although every child is unique, those with similar categorized disabilities have universal learning and behavior characteristics. For example, traditional instruction can be delivered with strategies that have shown to be successful for students identified as having learning disabilities. Similarly, universal proactive classroom intervention techniques for children with varying exceptionalities have also been demonstrated to be a successful approach to addressing these individualized needs.
This week’s assignment provides an opportunity to research and identify evidence-based practices and interventions to meet the needs of these diverse learners. You will then present your findings by creating an electronic graphic organizer using Draw.io (Links to an external site.) or Creating Graphic Organizers Using Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) to demonstrate universal learning and behavior characteristics and strategies for a disability.
Prior to beginning work on this assignment,
- Review the following sections in Chapters 1 and 8 in your Inclusion: Effective Practices for All Students text.
- 2: What Are Key Concepts That Support Inclusive Education?
- 1: What Formal Plans Are Required for Students With Disabilities for Effective Inclusive Education?
- From your textbook, use Table 1.1: Disability Categories and Definitions Adapted from IDEA 2004 to help identify the characteristics of disabilities.
- Read Reflections on the Concept of the Least Restrictive Environment in Special Education.
- Read Envisioning an Improved Continuum of Special Education Services for Students With Learning Disabilities: Considering Intervention Intensity.
- Read Guiding IEP Teams on Meeting the Least Restrictive Environment Mandate.
- View the sample Universal Learning Characteristics downloadgraphic organizer example.
- Review the course and weekly learning outcomes.
- Carefully read the assignment instructions, which offers a comprehensive summary of task expectations.
- Familiarize yourself with the necessary software, such as Draw. (Links to an external site.)io (Links to an external site.), to create your electronic graphic organizer.
- Review the Week 6 final paper (Resource Manual for Educating Students With Exceptionalities) description to see where this artifact fits into your final paper.
In the field of education, you will work with varying exceptionalities and diverse individual needs. These needs will include academic, behavioral, and social/emotional skills. As an educator and expert in the field, you are expected to assist the IEP team in accurately identifying student needs and recommending research-based practices and strategies to best meet these needs and foster student growth and development. This assignment offers an opportunity to choose a specific disability and research and identify quality evidence-based approaches that strongly align with student needs.
As you navigate this assignment consider:
- How characteristics of these behaviors impact student outcomes and educational performance.
- The importance and value of selecting effective research-based interventions that align with student needs.
- The importance of ethical communication and collaboration with IEP team members when selecting and implementing these evidence-based practices.
- Supports and accommodations for students with exceptionalities.
- How this assignment will impact your current or future practices working with exceptional learners.
Content Instructions: For this assignment choose one of the three listed disabilities: learning disability; emotional/behavioral disorder; autism spectrum disorder. You will only target one disability for this task. Here is a model to follow: Universal Learning Characteristics downloadexample .
In your graphic organizer,
- Step 1: Define, in one sentence, the disability you selected.
- Step 2: Universal Behavior Characteristics
- Describe at least five universal behavior characteristics for this population of students.
- Identify common (behavior) characteristics associated with the chosen disability.
- Explain at least five behavior strategies to support the universal behavior.
- Identify at least five evidence-based behavior interventions that align with the characteristics mentioned above.
- List at least three resources you accessed to identify universal behavior characteristics.
- Use credible and scholarly literature when supporting your research-based behavior strategies/interventions.
- Step 3: Universal Learning Characteristics
- Describe at least five universal learning characteristics for the population of students you have chosen.
- Identify common learning characteristics associated with the chosen disability.
- Explain at least five instructional strategies, accommodations, or modifications to support the universal learning characteristics of the population of student’s you have chosen.
- Identify at least five evidence-based interventions that align with the learning characteristics mentioned above.
- List at least three resources you accessed to identify universal learning characteristics and instructional strategies, accommodations or modifications.
- Use credible and scholarly literature when supporting your research-based learning strategies/interventions.
Create a document using the sample Universal Learning Characteristics downloadtemplate to submit your graphic organizer that includes a title page, the link to or content of your graphic organizer, and your reference list.
Next Steps: Review and Submit the Assignment
Review your assignment with the Grading Rubric to ensure you have achieved the distinguished levels of performance for each criterion. Next, submit your document no later than Day 7.
ePortfolio and Assignment Submission Instructions
- Submit Your Assignment: You will need to submit your assignment to both Waypoint and Folio.
Part 1: Submit Assignment to Waypoint
Submit your assignment to Waypoint using the Assignment Submission button (within your classroom).
- For more detailed instructions, refer to the Submitting Assignments Through Waypoint (Links to an external site.)
Part 2: Add Assignment to Folio
A part of this assignment is adding your work to Folio. Folio is your free digital portfolio tool to visually showcase your academic and professional accomplishments and experiences. You can access Folio by clicking on the “Account” link in the global navigation of this course, and selecting “Folio,” or, by clicking the button in your classroom.
To learn more about setting up your Folio account and adding future assignments, view Setting Up and Using Folio (Links to an external site.).
Success Tip: Start preparing now for the Week 6 final paper!
- The Week 6 assignment involves creating a resource manual for Mr. Franklin. Preparation for this assignment must begin early to make certain you are thinking ahead and saving your work. Review the full instructions for the Week 6 assignment for more information.
The Universal Learning Characteristics graphic organizer,
- Must contain seven content areas. It will be about 1 to 2 pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least six scholarly or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center, or incorporate it into the graphic organizer. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.