Week 2 – Discussion Forum
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
The grading rubric is based on 10 points, and the discussion is worth 4% of your grade.
|Navigate the Referral, Evaluation, and Eligibility Process in Accordance with IDEA (Scenario)[WLOs: 1, 2] [CLO: 1, 2, 4, 5]|
This discussion forum post provides an opportunity to analyze and present your understanding of the referral, evaluation, and non-discriminatory assessments, as well as eligibility review and determination processes. You will evaluate practices and identify the critical members involved in the process. Be sure to offer a comprehensive synopsis of each of these steps, which includes all required and potential team members and their respective roles and responsibilities. The IDEA requires the following personnel to meaningfully participate in the evaluation and IEP team process (“IDEA/IDEIA: The Rights Your Child Has as One With a Disability,” n.d.).
According to IDEA 2004, Section 1414(d)(1)(B), the IEP team includes:
- the parents of a child with a disability;
- not less than one regular education teacher of such child (if the child is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment;
- not less than one special education teacher, or where appropriate, not less than one special education provider of such child;
- a representative of the local educational agency;
- an individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results;
- at the discretion of the parent or the agency, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the child, including related services personnel as appropriate; and
- whenever appropriate, the child with a disability.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Chapters 1 and 4 in your Inclusion: Effective Practices for All Students
- Read Special Education Policy, Response to Intervention, and the Socialization of Youth
- Review The IEP Team (Links to an external site.) webpage
- Review the Instructor Guidance lesson for this week.
- Thoroughly read the instructions for this discussion forum post.
- Complete the ESE601 Week 2 IDEA Eligibility Process (Links to an external site.) interactive related to steps from the referral, evaluation, and evaluation processes.
- Look to include in-text citations in your initial posts and support your statements and responses with scholarly literature. Review the Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table if you need assistance.
After completing the interactive exercise, you will have a better understanding of the referral, evaluation, and eligibility process in accordance to IDEA. As you navigate this scenario, consider how you can apply these concepts and critical terms to your chosen path or learning environment in the field of special education. Points to ponder as you begin:
- P-12: Consider the state or educational standards your district follows or the Common Core State Standards.
- Early Childhood: The National Association for the Education of Young Children or your local education standards.
- Post-secondary: Adult learning or training environments (e.g., educational, military, corporate environments, etc.) and standards aligning with professional learning.
Initial Post: In at least three distinct paragraphs, create an initial post that will
- Define and summarize the referral, evaluation, and eligibility processes when identifying individuals with exceptionalities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the timeline and sequence of events as it relates to these processes.
- Identify all relevant members of the team and classify their roles and responsibilities in these procedures.
Review the posts of your classmates and that of your instructor. Respond to at least two peers or your instructor by reacting to their suggestions on the process of summarizing the referral, evaluation, and eligibly processes. As you are responding, reflect on how these processes will impact your chosen path in terms of the field of special education. Also, reflect on your experience with the interactive exercise and share your thoughts in your discussion forum post.
Distinguished responses will
- Include a question about your colleague’s response.
- Offer an additional resource that supports this week’s topics.
- Discuss your colleague’s point of view.
- Share your own related personal or professional experiences.
- Demonstrate critical thinking by including real-world application.
- Support statements and responses with scholarly resources.
Though two replies are the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and application of the material, you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have made (including your instructor) before the last day of the discussion period. This will extend the conversation while providing opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real work experiences with this topic.