Week 6 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Curriculum Barrier Case Study|
Robert, a 9th grader, is very popular because of his wonderful sense of humor, his respect for teachers, and his expertise in military vehicles. Robert also happens to have Spina Bifida, which confines him to a motorized wheelchair due to his limited mobility and limb strength. His disability negatively impacts his access to reading materials because of the motor coordination it takes to hold a book. Robert is fully included in the general education classroom but struggles to keep up with grade-level reading and written assignments.
The 9th grade social studies teacher is beginning a history unit specifically on the Civil War and has asked you to help evaluate the elements of this unit in regard to Robert’s strengths, areas of need, level of readiness, barriers that will impact his learning, as well as differentiated instruction strategies and instructional technology to overcome those barriers.
Your peer, the 9th grade social studies teacher, has provided you with the unit elements, requirements and Robert’s characteristics.
Unit Elements & Requirements
- Subject Matter: Civil War (events leading up to, the event, event outcome)
- Group Discussions
- Workbook/ Worksheet & Textbook Reading
- Written Homework Assignments
- Summative Unit Assessment
- Loves military vehicles
- Good sense of humor
- Auditory Learner
- Logical/ Mathematical Thinker
- Limited Mobility
- Limited motor coordination
- Can use a computer but due to limitations, slow typist
DISCUSSION QUESTION: Using this Case Study information and past discussions you have had with this teacher:
- Provide a list of at least two differentiated instruction strategies and two instructional technologies to overcome those barriers specific to this unit plan.
- Explain how each instruction strategy and instructional technology device fit into the TPACK framework.
- Explain how safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including the respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources will be incorporated into the lesson.
- Provide additional webpages, journal articles, and videos that the teacher can also use for future reference (cited in APA formatting).
Guided Response: Reply to two peers taking the role of the 9th grade social studies teacher. Use the suggestions made by your peers to create a mini lesson including alignment with the Common Core State Standards (Links to an external site.); a one-day lesson objective, and a description of the activity in which the whole class will participate; any integrated technology; and how you will assess student learning.
(Be sure to check back with your initial post often to continue the discussion with your peers).