Week 5 – Discussion Forum 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Introduction to Portfolio Peer Feedback [WLO: 2] [CLOs: 2, 5]|
This discussion introduces you to Folio, the electronic portfolio (e-portfolio) tool used by this university. As an Ashford student, you will not only have access to Folio during your time at Ashford, but you will retain lifetime unlimited access after leaving the university, without fees or capacity limit.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, review the Folio Quick Start Guide (Links to an external site.). developed for the university.
Consider how an e-portfolio tool will benefit you in both your program of study and your career goals.
Create a Folio account.
- Select the Folio link through your Account on your Canvas Dashboard page.
- Click on the Folio drop-down menu.
- On the Folio landing page in Canvas, click on your name or any other link listed on the left side of the Folio landing page in Canvas.
- You will be taken to your Folio account home page.
- On the Folio home page for your account, click on the Edit button to build your Profile.
- Add your avatar (we recommend your photo), background photo, and a tagline.
Write a brief introduction.
- This should be a representation of you that is appropriate to share with colleagues and other professionals as this will be the first thing they will see along with your picture or avatar.
- An example of an appropriate introduction would be:
- “I have a background in early childhood education and served in the military for ten years. I currently work as a lead for the local Head Start program here in Indiana. I love exploring new places, spending time with my family, and reading. I am looking forward to my dream career in working for a non-profit organization that supports families and literacy.”
Post an initial response in the discussion that includes
- A link to your e-portfolio
- A brief description of
- Your early impressions and use of Folio.
- Your thoughts about Folio. Consider your likes and dislikes.
- How you could use it as a means for capturing your work and sharing it with others.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates by offering feedback on their e-portfolio introduction. Discuss similarities and differences between your perspectives of how you may use the Folio as you enter the job market or seek upward positions within the field of education. Be sure to also respond to any questions that your instructor might pose. Continue to monitor the discussion forum through Day 7 and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.