Week 2 – Discussion Forum – Group 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|The Collaboration Commitment Group Work [WLO: 4] [CLOs: 1, 2]|
Collaboration and professionalism go hand-in-hand. There are five NEU areas of focus that make up the Collaboration Commitment. You will be creating an exceptional system of collaboration using the five areas of focus that make up the NEU collaborative commitment for a professional field of your choice: public or private, nonprofit or proprietary, military, corporate, or other.
You will be split into groups by your instructor. Groups will be announced at the beginning of the week. As you prepare for this discussion, consider how collaboration supports professionalism and professionalism encourages collaboration. See you in the discussion!
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 4 and 6 on collaboration from No Excuses University (Lopez, 2013). You can also review the recommended resources to help complete this assignment.
Within your own professional experiences, reflect on the five areas of focus found in Chapter 6 that make up the NEU collaboration commitment:
- Clarity of Purpose
- Respectful of Time
- Time Banking
- Professional Growth
- Building Candid Professional Relationships
Using the five areas of the NEU collaboration commitment, create an exceptional system of collaboration by completing the following steps:
- Develop a statement that addresses how you will remain committed to collaboration within your professional field of choice.
- Outline an implementation plan that will help you achieve your statement.
- The implementation plan should include each of the five areas of the NEU collaboration commitment.
- Identify your strengths that could contribute to the success of the system of collaboration.
- You may take the free High5 Test (Links to an external site.) to help you determine your strengths. The test may return several strengths; choose two to three and summarize.
- Discuss some of the challenges that may arise from creating and implementing this system of collaboration.
- Describe one or two ways to overcome these challenges.
- Explain how this system of collaboration could be used to implement an instructional management plan.
“Candor gets more people in the conversation, and when you get more people in the conversation you get idea rich.” (Jack Welch, as cited in Lopez, 2013)
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your peers. Provide feedback on their statement, their ideas for implementation, as well as how your group could benefit from it. Discuss both similarities and differences between your groups and your peers’ responses regarding their strengths and challenges to implementing the collaboration system. Lastly, be sure to respond to any questions that your instructor might pose. Continue to monitor the discussion forum through Day 7 and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.