Week 1 – Discussion Forum
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|21st-Century Skills and No Excuses University (NEU) Reflection [WLOs: 1, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2]|
The term “21st-century skills” suggests that there is a new set of skills that individuals need to possess to be successful as learners, citizens, and employees in a competitive, global economy. You will be introduced to a 21st-century network in education: No Excuses University (Links to an external site.).
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 1, 2, and 3 from Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century by Newman and watch the video Damen Lopez, Founder of No Excuses University, Offers His Main Messages to Teachers (Links to an external site.) where he offers his main messages to educators For additional support, you can also review the recommended articles and website for this week.
As you prepare for your video presentation, consider the following:
- The reasons behind the changing landscape of education.
- Today’s learners, in the changing landscape of education.
- Today’s educators, in the changing landscape of education.
Address the following in your post:
- 21st-century skills: Compare and contrast what the authors identify as 21st-century skills with what you would identify as 21st-century skills. In your explanation, be sure to cite evidence from the readings.
- No Excuses University (NEU): Discuss your thoughts on the six exceptional systems of NEU. Share your impressions and consider how these six exceptional systems (culture of universal achievement, collaboration, standards alignment, assessment, data management, and interventions) change the landscape of education. In your discussion, be sure to cite evidence from the readings.
- Lastly, identify the educational field (public or private, nonprofit or proprietary, military, corporate, or other) that you envision yourself as an educator. Explain how these six exceptional systems of NEU would be relevant to your identified educational field.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates. Be thoughtful about your responses and make connections between your initial response and your classmates’ posts. Compare and contrast your 21st-century skills identified with that of your peers. Do you agree with your peer? Why or why not? Continue to monitor the discussion forum through Day 7 and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.