Week 2 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|An Ethical Dilemma [WLO: 1] [CLO: 3]|
Prior to beginning this discussion, be sure you have read Chapters 4, 5, and 6 in the course textbook, the article, Standing Firm on Slippery Slopes: Understanding Ethical Boundaries in Student Affairs Work, and the ACPA Statement of Ethical Principals and Standards (Links to an external site.). Then read A Quick Wink: A Case Study About Sexual Harassment in Higher Education (Links to an external site.), which will serve as the basis for an ethical dilemma, which will be your initial post for this discussion.
A career in student services will expose you to situations related to ethical decision making. Sometimes those decisions can be determined by referring to the ethical code provided by your institution. Other times, deciding what is the correct and ethical decision is more difficult with all viable choices seeming to embody ethical problems, and you will have to make judgment calls based on a nuanced interpretation of ethical codes and principles.
In your initial post, use the format for solving an ethical dilemma presented in Chapter 6 of the course textbook to address each of the following item relating to A Quick Wink: A Case Study About Sexual Harassment in Higher Education (Links to an external site.):
- Ethical dilemma: State the ethical dilemma of this case study.
- Guidance from the profession: Review the ACPA Statement of Ethical Principals and Standards (Links to an external site.) and state what standards might help guide your ethical decision.
- Context: Relevant parties and time, place, and manner: Describe the relevant parties involved in this ethical dilemma.
- Options: Consider at least two different options for handling this ethical dilemma.
- Application of principles and consequences: Based on the seven principles identified by the Council for Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS), identify which principles are utilized for each option.
- Identify the potential consequences of each option.
Guided Response: In your responses to peers, comment on the solutions to the dilemma posed by your peers, ask questions about the options they offered, and suggest modifications or alternatives to their solutions.
Though two replies are the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and application of the material, you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have given to you (including your instructor) before Day 7. This ongoing engagement in the discussion will deepen the conversation while providing opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real-world experiences with this topic. In addition to offering comments, encourage further conversation by questioning your peers about their responses.