Week 6 – Final Paper
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3]
The final paper for this course is an Analysis Review assignment. Throughout this course, you have analyzed and discussed the history and policy formation in higher education regarding your selected topic and research question at the institutional and national level, as well as leadership, national and state regulation laws, and current events. For this final assignment, you will create an analysis review based on the findings of the research reviewed during Weeks 2 through 5 in this course.
The purpose of an analysis review is to summarize what is known about and what research has been completed and published regarding a specific topic or research question. An analysis review is more than reporting what you have read and understood. It requires that you read and think critically, and analyze what has been written about the topic. Completing an analysis review will allow you to better understand the controversies surrounding the topic, research question, and/or point you have selected, and identify gaps—i.e., what has been neglected in the literature.
Review the Ashford Writing Center’s Summary vs Analysis (Links to an external site.) resource for a step-by-step approach to drafting your analysis review and an example, which specifies and illustrates what content is required for each section.
Your analysis review should address each of the following requirements:
- Provide a revised historical timeline, which was submitted as the Week 1 assignment, based on feedback from your instructor and learning subsequent to the original timeline assignment. This final version of the timeline should include no fewer than 10 events or milestones that are relevant to, and integrated with, your analysis review.
- Describe your chosen topic, including an identification and explication of your research question or point.
- Organize the body of your analysis review according to the following topics: History of Higher Education (Week 2), Policy Formation/ National and Local laws (Week 3), Leadership (Week 4), and Current Events (Week 5). Organize the body using level headings as specified in the Ashford Writing Center resource on APA Style Elements (Links to an external site.).
- Conclude by reflecting on the relationship between the topic of the analysis review and the focus of your area of interest.
- Must be 10 to 12 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages and appendices) and formatted according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Title of paper
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper. For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center sources.
- Must use at least four scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. See as well the Evaluating Sources (Links to an external site.) tutorial from the Ashford University Library. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment. The Integrating Research (Links to an external site.)tutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
- Must apply APA style to document within your writing where you found information, quotes, and research as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s resource on Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the Formatting Your Reference List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Optional: Submit Your Analysis Review to the Ashford Writing Center on or before Day 5 (Saturday).
As part of this assignment, you can submit first to the Ashford Writing Center and then to Waypoint for your instructor.
- By Day 5, submit your assignment to the Ashford Writing Center. Follow the instructions found on the Ashford Writing Center Paper Review (Links to an external site.)
- The Ashford Writing Center will provide feedback within 24 hours of submission.
- The Ashford Writing Center will include a tracking number beginning with “NTP” at the top of your reviewed paper. Add this tracking number to the top of your assignment.
Review and Submit the Assignment to Waypoint. Next, revise your paper based on the feedback received from the Ashford Writing Center, then submit the final draft to Waypoint for evaluation no later than Day 7 of the week.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.