Week 2 – Discussion 2
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
As a result of the standardized reform movement, assessment data has been used to influence rewards and punishment rather than to drive teacher instruction. If differentiated instruction is going to work, a teacher must also differentiate his or her assessments.
Before reading Chapter 4, reflect on your educational experiences with assessments and answer the following questions:
- When you think about assessments, what do they remind you of?
- How did they make you feel?
- Were you ever given options to show what you had learned? Explain.
Now read Chapter 4 and the following video titled What is Differentiated Assessment? (Links to an external site.)You can also read the video transcript.
Based on your reading and the video,
- What should be the purpose of assessments? Explain diagnostic/pre-assessment, formative assessment, and summative assessment in your own words.
- How do these three types of assessments work together to improve student learning? Give an example of how you might use all three to teach a unit on a particular subject.
- Explain the difference between grading and assessment. When is it appropriate for assessments to be graded and when is it not? Provide evidence to support your opinion.
Be sure to use the text to support your opinions.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ posts. Compare and contrast your personal reflections on assessments. Discuss how your views of assessment have changed based on this week’s readings and how you might use assessments in your own classroom. Please respond to at least two of your classmates. Be sure to respond to any queries or comments posted by your instructor.