Week 1 – Discussion 2
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Teacher and Student Mindsets|
According to Sousa and Tomlinson (2011), “Brain studies suggest that a stimulating learning environment may have a significant impact on an individual’s brain development and eventual level of intelligence” (p. 33). Creating a stimulating learning environment is largely dependent on teacher and student mindsets that are influenced by beliefs, assumptions, and expectations.
Take a moment to reflect on your personal educational experiences and answer the following questions:
- Describe a positive and negative classroom experience you have had in your educational experience and the mindset of the teacher in both those situations.
- Did you feel that your teacher’s mindset in both situations impacted your own mindset in any way? How?
- Using these educational experiences and watching the video Building a Community (Links to an external site.), describe at least three ways in which you will create your own positive and stimulated learning environment.
- How will you create an atmosphere where students can take intellectual risks without fear of ridicule?
- How will you manage inappropriate behavior, avoid bullying and put-downs?
- What steps will you take to create an atmosphere where students feel safe and included?
Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your assertions.
Guided Response: As you read the responses of your classmates, consider how their negative educational experience could have been changed to support student learning. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Provide additional suggestions for them in creating their own positive, stimulating learning environment. Be sure to respond to any queries or comments posted by your instructor.